Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Well Spring is very late here in USDA Zone 7B..  Cary, NC.  ..  this means longer azalea blooms,  native wildflowers are blooming about 2-3 weeks later.  My annual Edible and Gourmet plant sale is starting later.
I am very glad I started my indoor seed germination later this year as well.
Gardening and growing food is an eternal learning curve, sometimes I get some thing right, sometimes I don't..   the "Dont,s", are best viewed as LESSONS.  
My lesson this germinating season?   Start small, go slower, plant later ..  
The later planted Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants catch up with their early planted siblings.. and by waiting until after last frost date..  There is less work applying nightly frost protection.

In years past, I had too many seedlings... which meant MORE water, more labor, more space, more materials needed, more expenses..  these are important considerations when one is trying to make a small living...
One the plus side.. I had more plants to gift!
This year, hope to have a better balance.


No comments: